Last revised: June 2016
As part of WorkplaceNL regular security assessments on its websites, it has revised the terms and conditions for connect. All users of connect must re-accept these conditions on their next sign-in and will be bound by them for their continued use of connect. Please review these terms and conditions prior to acceptance.
The following terms and conditions govern your organization's use, including all users
authorized by your organization, of the WorkplaceNL connect online services (
connect for the
remainder of this document). Please review these conditions carefully. If your organization (or
any one of your authorized users) does not agree to these terms, you will continue to have
access to information at the WorkplaceNL through other means i.e. telephone, fax or mail.
connect facilitates information sharing between the users of connect and WorkplaceNL. connect supports compliance with Occupational Health and Safety and Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation legislation.
The following rules govern your ability to access connect:
- Any breach of these terms and conditions may result in termination of your organization’s access to connect.
- All organizations must APPOINT A REPRESENTATIVE to manage their connect account. This person, known as your organizations Firm Administrator, will be your connect gatekeeper. He or she will have access to all services and information on your account, and will be able to add and manage access for other users for your organization. You will choose an appropriate person to fill the Firm Administrator role. The Firm Administrator shall be someone from inside your organization and shall not be an external consultant or accountant. External users may be given access as connect users on your account but shall not fill the primary role of Firm Administrator.
- Through your Firm Administrator, you may DELEGATE ADDITIONAL USERS and authorize their access to connect only where it is reasonable and necessary to fulfill your duties and obligations under the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act (the Act). You must ensure your Firm Administrator limits access to connect, and to specific services within connect, to only those users who need to access the information therein in the performance of their duties on behalf of your organization.
- Each authorized user shall be provided with a USERNAME AND PASSWORD to allow access to connect. Both shall be kept strictly confidential and are not to be shared with any other individual, including other authorized users. WorkplaceNL will have a record of usernames but not passwords.
- AUTHORIZED USERS shall only use his/her username and password to access connect, and those services within connect, for the specific purpose of carrying out his/her duties on behalf of the organization. Using your username and password to access connect for any other purpose is considered unauthorized access. Any unauthorized access, or attempts at unauthorized access by any users, will result in termination of that user's access to connect and may result in termination of the organization's access to connect.
- WorkplaceNL is not responsible for INAPPROPRIATE ACCESS, USE OR DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION contained in connect, by any user granted access to connect by the Firm Administrator.
Access to personal information
Certain services within connect may contain personal and confidential information that is protected by federal and provincial privacy laws. WorkplaceNL recognizes the sensitive nature of this information and seeks to protect the privacy rights of all individuals about whom WorkplaceNL holds personal information. The Firm Administrator shall restrict access to connect services containing personal and confidential information to those users required to access these services in order to carry out his/her duties on behalf of the organization. Any access, use, dissemination and/or disclosure of the information in a manner contrary to federal and provincial privacy laws constitutes an offence punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.
A variety of security features are in place to provide a safe and secure environment for users interacting with connect:
- All connect activities may be audited by WorkplaceNL.
- WorkplaceNL maintains complete control of all accounts and may revoke user access at any time.
- Users can only access the information determined by the access level granted by the Firm Administrator.
- connect uses an encryption method known as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), which is the industry standard security protocol. Encryption is the process of scrambling data into an unreadable format that is more secure for transmission over the Internet. SSL first verifies the identity of the secure website with an electronic certificate. It then provides a secure connection to protect information from interception and misuse. In short, information is encrypted at the originating computer and not de-encrypted until it reaches its destination.
WorkplaceNL will only accept transactions from a user who has at least a 128-bit level of
encryption on their Internet browser (e.g., Microsoft Internet Explorer). To determine the level of
encryption of your browser, see the section below called
Determining your encryption level.
- Once a transaction request is received by WorkplaceNL, information is maintained on a segregated server, protected by a firewall. Firewalls use features to protect the server from external security threats.
- WorkplaceNL performs regular security assessments on its websites to keep security policies current. WorkplaceNL will upgrade its computer environment to keep pace with emerging technologies.
Determining your encryption level
Microsoft Internet Explorer is equipped with the capacity to send and receive encrypted information over a secure Internet link. WorkplaceNL enforces 128-bit encryption, the highest level of encryption available today. You can check your browser's level of encryption by following the steps below. This process may vary depending on the version of browser you have installed.
- Internet Explorer: Click Help and then About Internet Explorer. The label Cipher Strength shows the level of encryption.
Confirming your computer is communicating with a SSL secure server
When accessing a server that uses SSL, a browser in secure mode will display a website
https://, rather than the standard
s stands for
browsers in secure mode also display a blue line along the top of the browser window. You will
see a padlock symbol at the bottom of your browser window when the browser is in secure
Ensuring safety and security
While every effort is made to ensure the safety and integrity of connect, it is technically possible that encrypted data sent over the Internet can be accessed, although unlikely. Consequently, WorkplaceNL cannot guarantee that information sent over the World Wide Web will be totally free of unauthorized interception. Therefore, WorkplaceNL shall not be liable for any losses incurred due to misuse of information. WorkplaceNL is only responsible for information once it has been received at WorkplaceNL.
For the convenience of users, WorkplaceNL provides notices by e-mail that information is available for viewing in connect; however, it is the user's responsibility to retrieve the information from connect. As we cannot guarantee the security of WorkplaceNL standard email, we recommend you not transmit sensitive, confidential, privileged or personal information using this route. For all such matters, contact us by telephone, fax or mail.
Collection of personal information
WorkplaceNL recognizes and seeks to protect the privacy rights of any authorized user of connect. We collect only the following information from connect users:
- First name
- Last name
- Work address if different from employer
- Work phone number
- Work fax number
- Work e-mail address
- Work cell number
- Three password reset questions and answers
This information is used for registration and to administer connect. It may also be used or disclosed to track unauthorized access to connect. By providing WorkplaceNL with this information, the user is consenting to its collection, use and disclosure for these purposes or for a use consistent with these purposes.
Consent to use personal information on forms
We may also collect personal information when a user completes and submits forms via connect. By completing and transmitting a form, (e.g. form 7 employer report of injury) you are consenting to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information contained in the form for the purpose of that form or for a use consistent with that purpose.
Personal information contained on these forms may also be used and disclosed where permitted or required by law and where it is in accordance with the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act and the Access to Information, Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Health Information Act. If the personal information provided on these forms belongs to a third party and you are not legally authorized to provide it, you must obtain the consent of the third party before you give the information to WorkplaceNL.
Collection of information on the web server
WorkplaceNL web servers automatically collect and log some information about your computer and your visits to our website. This information may include:
- Internet Protocol address
- Domain name
- Date and time of your visit
- Web pages or services accessed in connect
We use this information for statistical purposes to inform us about the services being used by employers, and to identify problems in the system. We also use it to identify unauthorized interference. This information is not linked to other data in a way that would enable WorkplaceNL to identify individual visitors, with one exception: the information may be linked to your organization's Firm Number or user information in order to identify interference and/or unauthorized access to connect. WorkplaceNL web servers use session IDs, which expire when the user closes the browser. These session IDs do not contain any personally identifying information. If you disable these Ids, connect may not work for you.
Consent to collect, use and disclose personal information
By accessing connect, you are agreeing to the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information noted above for the purposes stated or for a use consistent with these purposes.
Retention of information
WorkplaceNL does not provide access to information through connect to meet the records retention requirements of connect users. If your organization has legal retention requirements, you are responsible for storing and retaining on your own system the relevant information in an appropriate manner for the required time.
connect content is owned by WorkplaceNL and protected by copyright law. Copying, republishing or reproducing this material in whole or in part is expressly forbidden without WorkplaceNL specific consent.
All WorkplaceNL trademarks appearing in connect belong to WorkplaceNL. Use of these trademarks is prohibited without WorkplaceNL prior written permission. All other product and company names mentioned on connect are the trademarks of their respective owners. Permission to use these trademarks must come from their owners.
Some of the web pages contained in connect may contain links to other websites not under WorkplaceNL control. We do not control the content of these sites and are not responsible for their accuracy, currency, or reliability. We do not endorse the views, products, or services of these organizations.
Disclaimer and limitation on liability
In no event shall WorkplaceNL be liable for damages of any type resulting from any cause whatsoever, whether arising in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, in relation to using, delivering, or relying upon connect. For example, WorkplaceNL disclaims all liability relating to:
- Matters outside WorkplaceNL control, including availability or unavailability of the Internet, or telecommunications or other infrastructure systems.
- Availability or unavailability of the Internet, or telecommunications or other infrastructure systems due to systems maintenance by WorkplaceNL.
- Availability or unavailability of connect.
- Illegal or fraudulent use of connect.
- Loss or damage suffered as a result of unauthorized access to connect through a user's system.
- Loss of damages suffered as a result of any collection, use, disclosure or retention of personal information in connect.
- Loss or damage suffered as a result of incomplete, inaccurate or corrupt data provided by a user of connect.
If you or anyone from your organization makes an unauthorized attempt to access or modify computer system information or interferes with normal system operations, WorkplaceNL may suspend or terminate your organization's or user's access to connect. We may also take legal action against you. WorkplaceNL shall pursue an action in fraud against any user where WorkplaceNL believes that a fraud against WorkplaceNL has occurred. Information you send to WorkplaceNL will only have legal effect after it has been received and is accessible to WorkplaceNL.
If you receive information from WorkplaceNL through connect and suspect it is incomplete, inaccurate or corrupted, you must notify WorkplaceNL and request clarification. Do not rely upon the information until you receive clarification.
If WorkplaceNL notifies you that information you sent is incomplete, inaccurate or corrupted, you must take corrective action as may be reasonably required. The information contained on connect does not replace the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act, regulations and policy manual. In the case of a discrepancy between the information contained on connect and the Act, regulation or policies, the Act, regulation or policies shall govern.
External service providers
WorkplaceNL may procure the services of external service providers in order to operate and administer connect. Such service providers enter into agreements with WorkplaceNL wherein they agree to treat personal information they may be exposed to in accordance with privacy laws.
WorkplaceNL may at any time revise the terms and conditions. All users of connect will have to re-accept these conditions on their next sign-in and will be bound by them for their continued use of connect.